Arcadia is a region in Peloponnesos, which is most commonly known for its picturesque mountain villages and as a very popular destination for winter holidays. However with a very long coastal line, along Myrtoan sea, which starts near Nafplio in the north and ends near Monemvasia in the south, it has many to offer as a summer destination as well. Here are, in my opinion, 5 beaches which stand out in the area, as well as in the whole Peloponnessos.
1. Lileika (aka Karanti) : Lileika beach is located 26 klm from Nafplio, on your way to Paralio Astros. There are two beaches here under the same name, the second one, also known as Karanti, due to the tavern-beach bar, which operates here, has easy access from the main road. You park your car at the parking areas alongside the main road and you walk 300 meters down to the beach. Only a small part of the beach is organized with umbrellas and sunbeds. The beach and the seabed are sandy. The waters are shallow and ideal for kids. The highlight are two sea caves with small sandy beaches inside, on the north end of the beach.
2. Kryoneri : Kryoneri beach is 22 klm south of Paralio Astros and very popular among locals. It is a long beach with crystal clear waters and white-grey pebbles on the shore. The waters are quite deep and the seabed rocky. The north part of the beach is well organized with two beach bars, a tavern and other facilities. The rest of the beach retains its natural beauty and is ideal for diving and snorkeling. The view of the beach as you drive along the main road is just wonderful.
3. Tserfos – Ammos tou Moula : This small magic beach on your way from Paralio Astros to Leonidio, a few years before was a common secret among the locals. Now the secret has been revealed and the visitors are increasing by the day. A few meters after the main beach of Tserfos, leave your car along the road, walk down a small path among the olive and carob trees and this small piece of paradise is revealed in front of you. This sandy beach with warm crystal turquoise waters is like it has been transfer here from Kyklades. No facilities here, just the natural shadow of the trees on the shore. Discover this wonderful place but respect its natural beauty in order to remain unspoiled.
4. Tigani : Tigani is a well known beach for tourists staying to the nearby Tyros. It is a very well organized beach with sea sports, facilities and taverns. The waters are clear, not very deep but the seabed is quite rocky. Just next to the beach, with access only by the sea, you could find “Lover’s Cave”, a big sea cave with a small beach inside. You can reach it either by a rented canoe or paddle boat, or by swimming (if you are a good swimmer). Extra tip : If you feel hungry, drive 500 meters more and visit Akroyiali restaurant on Tyros beach, probably one of the best places to eat in the whole region, for fresh fish, meat or delicious local dishes.
5. Fokianos : What separates the beautiful town of Leonidio from one of the best beaches in Greece is an hour and 34 klm of not so easy mountain driving. But it is certainly worth the effort. This breathtaking beach is located in a protected bay ringed by cliffs. The clear blue waters gives you the impression that they are drinkable, while the big white pebbles on the shore and on the seabed emphasize the impression of perfect blue. The place is ideal for snorkeling, with lots of sea creatures, fishes and sea shells to examine. There are only two spots with some umbrellas and sunbeds, and also a tavern. The place was unspoiled a few years before but now it has been discovered and the fear of destroying its authenticity with heavier touristic structures becomes eminent year by year. Discover this earthly paradise before its too late.
And as an epilogue, a magic moment that took place on our way to Paralio Astros, while writing this article :